Admission – FAQ

Q: Where should I send the print hard copy of my application?

A: Please send applications to:
Masterbüro – Referat L4
Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Schloßplatz 4
D-91054 Erlangen

Q: May I apply to start in summer semester?

A: No. You can only start each winter semester.

Q: When does the program begin?

A: The program begins each winter semester (usually in October).

Q: How can I apply for the program?

A: Students must apply using the web-based platform Campo. Have a look at the detailed process in the “how to apply” section of this website.

Q: Do you accept the application only per post or also electronically per email?

A: The application should be sent per post to the Master Office, we do not accept electronic applications.

Q: Do I have to hand in an “Abitur”/high school certificate?

A: Yes. An “Abitur”/high school certificate is required.

Q: Does the statement of grades have to be in a special form or is it sufficient to hand in printout version?

A: The statement of grades must be an official document. The document can be an original or a certified copy.

Q: Do I need GRE or GMAT for this program?

A: No, these exams are not required.

Q: Can I apply if I do not yet have my undergraduate degree until the deadline for submission of applications?

A: For students, who complete their undergraduate degree in Germany or any EU country: You can apply if you do not yet have your undergraduate degree until the deadline for submission of applications. However, you need a minimum of 135 ECTS to be able to apply and you should hand in a recent statement of grades form and a confirmation that you have completed your courses. As soon as you got your bachelor certificate you should send it to us. You have up to one year to hand in your degree.

For students, who complete their undergraduate degree in a non-EU country: You must have completed your undergraduate degree to be able to apply. Only in exceptional cases, we may accept applicants which have not finished their undergraduate degree which then can be provided latest by September.

In the latter case, the applicant should send us a confirmation from their University with the following information:

  • name of the university/faculty
  • official name of the study program
  • the official length of the study program (for example 4 years)
  • a full-time graduate program, part-time program or distance learning
  • date when he/she will probably graduate and receive the bachelor degree certificate (important)
  • topic and date of the thesis (if applicable)
  • date of the confirmation
  • signature from the university (registrar or dean)
  • official stamp from the university

Q: Should the application be in English or German?

A: Your application package documents can be either in German or in English. The essay, the curriculum vitae and the motivation letter must be in English.

Q: Do you accept undergraduate degrees with a Bachelor from a Berufsakademie?

A: If the diploma is certified and accredited we do accept the diploma as a valid undergraduate degree (provided that the program is accredited and recognized).

Q: What kind of university degree is required to apply to the master’s program?

A: Applicants must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree preferably with a focus in business or IT. Applicants with other academic backgrounds may also be considered. Some 3-year bachelor degrees are accepted, others not. This is evaluated by the Master Office which receives your documents. However, they don’t offer pre-evaluation. This means you need to apply and send all your documents before they can give an assessment of your degree.

Q: What is the final decision-making criteria?

A: The final decision to accept a student is based on his application (average grades, motivation to study the MSc International Information Systems program with us, background, practical experience).

Q: What kinds of questions are asked in the interview? In what language does the interview take place?

A: Not all applicants are invited for an interview. If we want to conduct an interview with you, we will get in touch via email and send you an invitation. Questions are generally based on the received application. In some cases, technical questions are also asked. Besides, we may ask some questions to get an impression of the student’s personality, motivation to study IIS and skills. The language of the interview is English. An applicant may request the interview to be conducted in German if that is preferred. However, the Master IIS Program is mostly an English language program, therefore we do prefer to speak with the applicant in English.

Q: Do I have to convert the grades to the German system?

A: No, you should not do the conversion yourself. The Master Office in Erlangen receives your documents, evaluates your degree and converts the grades. You can find the current requirements at “How to apply“.

Q: What happens after I send in my application? Do I get a place in the study program if I meet the minimum requirements?

A: No, a complete application does not guarantee a study place. The admission to the program is highly competitive.

Q: Is the internet platform for applications “Campo” mandatory or optional for the application to the MSc International Information Systems?

A: The internet platform for applications “Campo” is mandatory for the application to the Master IIS program.

Q: Who can help me if I have questions regarding application requirements?

A: For questions about requirements please contact the MSc International Information Systems committee through:

Q: Will the courses of the master’s program take place in Nuremberg or Erlangen?

A: Close to 70% of the total courses are taught in Nuremberg. The rest is taught in Erlangen. Hence we recommend students to reside in Nuremberg.

Q: Can I pass the master’s degree by distance learning?

A: No. There is no possibility of distance learning.

Q: In what language will the classes be held?

A: The teaching language is a combination of English and German. The ratio depends on the subjects in the first semester (Informatics introduction almost 75% German, Management Introduction 100% English). The later ratio between English and German language courses depends on the exact subject choices made by the students. Up to 85% of the total curriculum is taught in English. More information can be found in the module handbook.

Q: Who can I contact if I have questions regarding course content and program focus?

A: Detailed information on the course program is available here. Should you have any further questions regarding these topics, please contact Ms. Isabella Eigner.

Q: What are the minimum requirements on TOEFL, IELTS and University of Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) exams?

A: The minimum required TOEFL scores are as follows:

  • IBT (Internet Based Test): 95
  • CBT (Computer Based Test): 240
  • PBT (Paper Based Test): 587
  • The minimum score for IELTS is: 7.0
  • For a University of Cambridge ESOL a “Certificate in Advanced English” (CAE) is required

Q: Can I apply if I am already registered for an English test (TOEFL, IELTS, etc) but won’t be able to get the results before the application deadline?

A: No.

Q: Do I have to hand in a proof of my English language skills if my education has been in English or English is official language?

A: You need a proof of your English language skills (TOEFL, IELTS, CPE or UNICERT III) if your education has been conducted in a language other than English (original certificate or a regular copy). Important: You also need to provide proof of your English language skills if your education has been completely in English but in a country where English is not the official language. Only candidates who graduated from the USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand are exempted from this rule. Also, applicants from India and other countries where English is considered as an official language, must provide proof of English as the rest of the applicants.

Q: What level do I need to have regarding my German skills if my education has been conducted in a language other than German?

A: German language is mandatory for the International Information Systems program. The minimum level we need from our applicants is equivalent to A2 (according to the Common European Framework of the European Council).A:

These are the certificates we accept:

    • Goethe Certificate (min. level A2)
    • Zertifikate von VHS / Bildungszentren
    • DSH 1 (≥57%): Level B2
    • DSH 2 (≥67%): Level C1
    • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF)

Additionally, we may accept certificates from recognized language institutes.

Q: Is the study abroad for one semester mandatory even for international students?

Yes, it is mandatory. Nonetheless, you do not have to spend your semester abroad in a non-German speaking country, we have co-operations with universities in Austria.

Q: How can I find accommodation in Nuremberg?

You may visit the following webpage which provides information related to accommodation in Erlangen and Nuremberg. You can also find apartment sharing possibilities at WG-Gesucht.

Q: Who is responsible for my student registration/matriculation?

The student record office (“Studentenkanzlei”) is responsible for registration/matriculation as a student of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Details are provided on their website. Please note that in July (approximately) we will send welcome packages to everyone who has been admitted to the program and will give you more information on the formalities regarding your arrival in Germany (housing, insurances etc.).

Q: Do you organize scholarships for your students?

We do not organize scholarships for our students. You may contact the Central Office of International Affairs from our university and ask them whether they may provide you with further information.

Q: Are there any tuition fees at the Friedrich-Alexander University?

Information regarding tuition fee can be found at the FAU’s information portal. The master’s program has a minimum student fee of ca. EUR 107 (EUR 42 for administrative costs and EUR 65 for partial contribution for a semester ticket for transportation ) per semester since most of our programs are subsidised by the German government.

Q: What are the living costs for students in Germany?

More information can be found here. Please note that this is an estimation and depends on your individual living style and preferences.